At the beginning of April the very special foal at Wintersteen Arabians was born – one of the first and last progenitor of Ontario HF (Monarch AH x Orzonna HF by Pepton) on U.S. soil – as the stallion recently was exported to Poland, Kielnarowa Stud. Dam of the gray filly born on 3rd April is Kuhailan type mare Phyllan by the Kurozwęki bred sire Bancock (Bangkok in PASB)
– We were always interested in Monarch AH and, since his exportation to the United Arab Emirates, we were on the look out for a son to breed to. From a pedigree perspective Ontario was exceptional since his dam was of the highest quality – says Jeff Wintersteen from Wintersteen Arabians, US. – Not only was HF Orzonna a 4 time stakes winner, track record holder and halter champion, she was also a grand daughter of legendary Orla. In addition, Orzonna’s sire was Pepton who was proving his considerable value as a broodmare sire. It soon became very apparent on the track that Ontario was a talented colt. With his race career, coupled with the pedigree, we were very interested in using him as a sire. This was only confirmed the first time I saw him in person. Ontario is a very handsome and imposing stallion with a charisma and self confidence that is not often seen. He also inherited his grand sire Pepton’s superior structure.
– Our mare choice – continues Jeff Wintersteen – was our Kuhailan foundation mare Phyllan by the Kurozwęki bred sire Bancock. She is a proven producer as the dam of our stallion, WA Pejczyk. We were hopeful for not only a racehorse, but believed Ontario could deliver a quality show prospect as well. Since she had produced a track winner and halter champ, it seemed the obvious choice.
– The resulting foal has exceeded our expectations – says also the breeder. – The gray filly has all the athletic attributes you would expect from Ontario: deep shoulder, excellent legs, and strong hip. She is exceedingly typey with short head, broad between the eyes and tiny muzzle. Her neck is long and beautifully shaped. She is also one of the sweetest foals ever born at the farm. While we will certainly point her towards the track eventually, we plan on showing her as a young horse. In short, we couldn’t be happier with her overall quality.
Jeff Wintersteen has also a few words dedicated to those having chance to breed their mares to Ontario HF now.
– While we certainly wished Ontario had stayed in the US, we think the Poles will make good use of him. Poland still believes in the complete Arabian – beauty and athleticism. Already the use of Monarch AH blood with Poland’s best mares, as demonstrated by Savvannah, has yielded extraordinary results. We believe Ontario is Monarch’s best son, both in beauty and as an athlete, so the possibility of him covering great Polish mares is exciting for the entire Arabian breed.
Ontario HF is a son of Arabian racing phenomenon – Monarch AH and HF Orzonna – born in US but exported in utero from Janów Podlaski stud where her dam – the granddaughter of Triplecrowned Orla was bred. HF Orzonna – the Oaks winner in California, ended her racing career with the result of 2/10 (7-2-0) O+3-1. Ontario himself was on the race training for 3 seasons (2003–2005), starting in 22 stakes, always placed in money – winner of $137.116 in total. He is a 2003 Darley winner.
Ontario HF bred about 6 mares in US last year. This season Czesław Witko – the current owner of the stallion, notices a good interest in Ontario HF as a sire. 15 mares were covered so far.
– Polish breeders were waiting until the stallion comes to the central Poland. Now they have the opportunity to use him as Ontario is currently standing at Mała Wieś stud near Warsaw – well known for great Arabian race horses in Poland.