The list of horses offered for sale at the 2008 Pride of Poland Auction has been announced. Among the 69 horses (57 mares and 12 stallions) 12 are owned by private breeders: Bellissima by Ekstern, bred by Stanisław Redestowicz, owned by Paweł Redestowicz, Cesia by Pers and Certon by Avangard, bred and owned by Robert Talarek, Ekstera by Ekstern, bred by Leszek Jarmuż, owned by Wojciech Parczewski, Emegna by Magnum Psyche, bred by Stanisław Redestowicz, owned by Tomasz Tarczyński, Eureka by Pesal, bred by Laura and Zbigniew Demczuk, owned by Tomasz Kowalik, Garuna by Grafik, bred and owned by Agnieszka Wójtowicz, Nirwana by Turban, bred by Kurozwęki Stud, owned by Witold Jakubczyk, Sokołda by Oset, bred and owned by Bogusław Dąbrowski, Essential by Arzgir, bred and owned by Nordental Arabians, Fiołek by Batyskaf, bred by Białka, owned by Andrzej Wójtowicz and Gorec by Druid, bred and owned by Anna Nieora-Tchkuaseli. It is not yet known which horses will be offered at the main auction and which at the Silent Sale.
The State Studs have decided to part with such valuable mares as:
– Janów’s Amra by Eukaliptus, 2001 Warsaw Summer Show Champion Filly & Best in Show, as well as 2002 Polish National Champion Filly & Best in Show in Janów Podlaski (her two full sisters achieved high prices at previous auctions: in 2007 Altona was sold to Belgium for 180 thousand euro, while in 2005 Amba went to the US for 85 thousand euro)
– Białka’s Ekina by Ekstern (scorer of high class results at the European Championships in Verona in 2005 and at the All Nations Cup in Aachen in 2006)
– Janów’s black Elwinga by HS Pirandelo, Bełżyce Champion Filly from 2006
– Białka’s Pereira by Eldon, dam of Perolia by Gazal Al Shaqab, who was Reserve Champion Filly in Bełżyce 2004, as well as Autumn Show Reserve Champion Filly in Janów Podlaski
– the Michałów-bred daughters of Laheeb: Egea (out of Egna by Eukaliptus, the highest priced horse of the 2001 sale, sold for 120 thousand USD to Halsdon Arabians of the UK) and Ellissara out of Ekscella by Monogramm
– Sawantka by Pepton from Janów Podlaski Stud, dam of Sefora by Ekstern, Polish National Champion Filly from 2005, Top Five All Nations Cup Champion Filly from Aachen and Top Ten World Champion Filly from Paris. Last year her half-sister Sarmacja (also out of Saszetka by Engano) received the WAHO Challenge Trophy, awarded to outstanding representatives of Polish Arabian breeding
– the Michałów-bred daughter of Ekstern – Pantea – out of Panika by Eukaliptus, full sister to Palanga, Polish National Reserve Champion Mare of 2007
– Janów’s Penalba by Ecaho, full sister to Palmeta (out of Pilica by Fawor), 2002 Warsaw Summer Show Champion Filly & Best in Show, 2003 Polish National Champion Filly & Best in Show, 2005 Falborek Reserve Champion Mare, 2005 European Champion Mare from Verona. Penalba’s stablemate – Pieta – also a “Szamrajówka” family member, being full sister to Pinga, was sold last year for the highest price of the auction at 300 thousand euro. It will be interesting to see whether Penalba will ignite similar excitement… As a reminder – her dam Pilica was sold in 2006 for 65 thousand euro to Australia.
The offer includes many daughters of mares, which found buyers for good prices at previous auctions – besides the already mentioned above there is also Białka’s Husara by Pesal, whose dam Hula by Penthagonn was sold in 2006 for 180 thousand euro to Australia, Michałów’s Prusja by Emigrant (her dam Pralina by Ecaho was sold last year for 85 thousand euro to Dubai), Janów’s Stigma by Gazal Al Shaqab, daughter of Salina, sold in 2007 to the US (for a much lower amount – just 12 thousand euro), Michałów’s Wenus by Monar (daughter of Worskla by Eukaliptus – sold for 70 thousand euro to Qatar in 2007) and Erotika by Pesal out of Erotomanka (13 thousand euro, USA, in 2003).
Janów Podlaski is once again offering Czambra, which has already graced the 2004 auction (at the Silent Sale), again in 2006 and also at the tender in her home stud of December last year, as well as Salamina by Laheeb (offered at the tender in October). Considering that another Janów „Laheeb” product – Siklawa – achieved a price of 100 thousand euro from Qatar last year, we can also expect a good result from Salamina.
Those keen on Polish „Monogramms” – which always enjoyed much attention – will have to look for them elsewhere this time. The offer lacks Mongramm daughters, however there are 5 of his granddaughters: 4 from Michałów (Diastema by Eldon, the already mentioned Ellissara by Laheeb, Emeeria by Angor, Eriboja by Grafik) and one private-bred (Garuna by Grafik, a class winner from Wels in 2007).
There is also just one Ganges daughter, Michałów’s Wróżka, whose dam Wipera by Fawor (sold in 2002 for 55 thousand USD and now representing the UK) was awarded last year with the titles of Senior Champion Mare and Supreme Senior In-Hand Champion in the halter classes.
Among the stallions listed this year the sons of Gazal can definitely stir some interest: Albus out of Alegoria by Eukaliptus, sold in 2006 for 90 thousand euro to the US and half-brother to Poganin, 2007 Polish National Champion Stallion – Pentamer out of Pohulanka by Pepton. The attention of the buyers should also be drawn to the valiant Dargin by Druid, boasting an interesting racing pedigree (his dam Drabora is the daughter of Oaks winner Dracena by Penitent) and another son of the phenomenal Druid, sold to Turkey for half a million dollars – Diament. Both of these Michałów stallions were offered at the November tender at their maternal stud. An interesting position at this year’s sale may be Epolet by Ararat, 2001 Warsaw Summer Show Reserve Champion Colt. Other brave race horses are %alttext% offered by private breeders: Essential by Arzgir (winner of the Arabian Produce – Janów Podlaski St. and track record holder from the Partynice racetrack in Wrocław over 1700 m with 1’55”) by Nordental Arabians, Fiołek by Batyskaf (2004 Race Horse of the Year) from Bełżyce Stud, Gorec by Druid (a Derby winner, as well as being victorious in the Europejczyk, Kurozwęki, Figaro St. and Europa Cup twice) by Anna Nieora Tchkuaseli.
The most progeny in the sale offer is delivered by Gazal Al Shaqab – as much as 7 individuals. Further places in this ranking are taken by: Ekstern – 6, Metropolis NA – 5 (including two full sisters out of Celna by Alegro, Janów’s Cefeida and Cerer), Eldon – 4, Emigrant – 4, Pesal – 4, Wojsław – 3, Laheeb – 3, Druid – 3.
As Pride of Poland informs, the sale list may undergo some changes before publishing the catalogue in June.